Dr. Shun-Shii Lin
Research Lab: Deep A.I. Lab
* Deep Learning Techniques (Deep Neural Networks, Supervised/Reinforcement Learning, Big Data)
* Computer Games Programming (Monte Carlo Tree Search, Proof Number Search)
* Design and Analysis of AI Algorithms and Distributed Computing (High-Performance Computing, GPUs)
Shun-Shii Lin (林順喜) was born on June 10, 1959 in Changhwa, Taiwan, Republic of China. He received the B.S. degree in Computer Engineering from the National Chiao-Tung University in 1981 and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science and Information Engineering from the National Taiwan University in 1985 and 1990, respectively. From August 1986 to July 2001, he was on the faculty of the Department of Information and Computer Education of the National Taiwan Normal University. He was also a department head of the university from August 1994 to July 1996. He was a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1993. Starting August 2001 He is a professor and also serves as the director of the Graduate Institute of Computer Science and Information Engineering of the National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan, Republic of China. Dr. Lin is a member of the Institute of Information and Computing Machinery and the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society. He was the winner of the 1996 and 1997 Acer Long Term Award for Outstanding M.S. Thesis Supervision, the winner of 2002 National Science Council Award for Outstanding M.S. Thesis Supervision, the winner of 2003 IICM (Institute of Information & Computing Machinery) Award for Outstanding M.S. Thesis Supervision, the winner of 2004 TAAI (Taiwanese Association for Artificial Intelligence) Award for Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Supervision, Republic of China. He also obtained the 1994-1998 Research Achievement Award of the National Science Council of the Republic of China and the 1999 Research Award of the National Taiwan Normal University. His research interests include Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Parallel Processing, Real-Time System Scheduling and Artificial Intelligence.
Till 2016, he has advised his students to win 24 gold medals in the domestic/international Computer Game Tournaments. He has advised 10 Master students to win the Outstanding Master's thesis Awards. He has also advised 5 Ph.D graduated students. Among them, 3 have won the Outstanding Ph.D dissertation Awards. His most famous student is Aja Huang who is one of the key developers behind AlphaGo that beats the world human Go champion in 2016.
* Ph.D. in Computer Science (June 1990), National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C. (Ph. D. Dissertation“A general interconnection network with the consideration of locality in traffic”, Advisor: Prof. Ferng-Chin Lin.)
* M.S. in Computer Science (June 1985), National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
* B.S. in Computer Engineering (June 1981), National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C..
* Professor, Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan, August 2001 – present.
* Associate Professor, Department of Information and Computer Education, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan, August 1990 – 1996.
* Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA, January 1993 – January 1994.
* Lecturer, Department of Information and Computer Education, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan, August 1986 – 1990.
* Artificial Intelligence
* Advanced Algorithms
* Design and Analysis of Algorithms
* Discrete Mathematics
* Introduction to Computers
* Design and Analysis of Parallel Algorithms
* Theory of Computation
* Data Structures